Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Long Way Gone

I wish I could post a picture of the cover of this book, A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. What a great read! I highly recommend it! It is the autobiography of a young boy from Sierra Leone who gets caught up in the civil war and what happens to him. I had the good fortune to travel very briefly to Sierra Leone 20 years ago. Although this story happened after my time, I know that there was a lot of bloodshed going on while I was there. The capital, Freetown, looks much like the Bay Area, so it felt like home after being away for almost a year. I have very fond feelings for Sierra Leone and the good hearted people I met there.

I also just finished What is the What by Dave Eggers. Another fabulous book! This is the fictionalized biography of Valentino Achak Deng of Sudan who becomes one of the Walking Boys or Lost Boys of Sudan. I know, fictionalized biography sounds strange, but the story is based on a real person's life. I think the story is fictionalized so that the author can include some things that might have happened to someone else or a way to tell some of the history of that time.

My other recent favorite read is The Hummingbirds Daughter by Luis Urrea. (I think that's how to spell his last name). Another fictionalized biography about an amazing Mexican woman who was considered to be both a healer and a saint. I loved this book too!

Being an avid reader, I am now at a bit of a loss for what to read.

I should have a new computer in about two weeks so posting pictures will be sooooo much easier! I cant wait!

No comments: